Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Transition to FreeBSD 10  (Read 2673 times)

azdps

Transition to FreeBSD 10
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »
I've watched some of the coding you have done in the past, and your attempt to transition to from FreeBSD 8.4 to FreeBSD 10. I think the biggest issue for the transition are the kernel patches that need to be adjusted to work. Specifically the ipfilter_kernel_update_to_4.1.34 patch. Have you made any progress in this area?

I do appreciate the t1n1wall fork you have started. I've also seen in the past where you created a fork of m0n0wall called m0n0mods. I look forward to your improvements to t1n1wall.

On a side note, when I attempted to add an avatar for my user profile on this forum I got an error reference the avatar folder not being writable.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:55:20 PM by azdps »

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Transition to FreeBSD 10
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
I did the work on freebsd 10.0 a while ago, I had a working image (worked for me anyway).   I think I ported all the patches , but would need to check.

the ipfilter patch you refer to, is the patch to upgrade ipfilter from the default in freebsd 8.x to 4.1.34 .  It's not relevant in freebsd 10, as freebsd 10  uses ipfilter 5.x  (which is quite different , hence all the changes I had to make to get freebsd 10 working)

azdps

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:26 AM »
If you have the patches available for me to see that would be great. If there a reason you haven't transitioned over to FreeBSD 10 yet with t1n1wall?

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 09:21:37 PM »
the freebsd10 branch has all the patches and changes already in it.

The only reason I haven't done more work on freebsd 10 was lack of time, however I did build images from the freebsd10 branch, that were functional.  ipfilter 5.x is quite different, for example it doesn't have separate ipv4 and ipv6 rules, they are all one ruleset now.

here is an image I built over a year ago from freebsd10 branch http://goo.gl/E7mvo5 if you want to try it ...  I'll try a build again during the week.

azdps

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:55:39 AM »
I didn't realize the freebsd10 branch had the patch changes since I didn't see any snapshots of the 10 build on the m0n0wall repository. I'll take a look at your patches. I did some work in the past to try to transition to FreeBSD 10 but ran into a snag with the IPFilter patches. I recall some other changes, such as switching over to use clang. I'll see if I can create a working build with your patches. Thank you.

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
I chose not to use CLANG as too many things broke , the build scripts for freebsd10 reflect this ...

azdps

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:03 AM »
Most of your patches were working fine. There was an issue though with FreeBSD 10 that I saw early on when I executed the 1makebuildenv.sh script. I noticed that both nsupdate and atacontrol showed errors when the script attempted to copy those files. A little research revealed that both nsupdate and atacontrol have been removed from FreeBSD code base. The FreeBSD man page for atacontrol suggested using camcontrol as an alternative to atacontrol. nsupdate on the other hand was removed because bind was removed. Not sure what to do with that at this point.

azdps

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
That was quick. I already see you made some changes to the freebsd10 branch to change atacontrol to camcontrol. I see that nsupdate actually had already been transitioned over to dudders in the services.inc. Looks like you had overlooked a few files. Anyways, next time I'll just put up a ticket on sourceforge.

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:19:50 PM »
I haven't tested dudders or camcontrol, I'm guessing you will beat me to :)