Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ability to Disable/Enable Interfaces From the Serial Console  (Read 1807 times)

gderf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would find it useful to be able to occasionally disable/re-enable a network interface.

Obviously, this could be a problem if done from the network remotely, so restricting the capability to the serial console would be appropriate.

Currently I unplug/re-plug ethernet cables to do this.

Thanks for considering this enhancement.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:30:15 PM by gderf »

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to Disable/Enable Interfaces From the Serial Console
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Hi, what's the use case for this feature (why would you want to enable/disable you NIC via console).  I'm wondering if you a bug or not.

gderf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
Sometimes I am doing things on LAN machines such as installing new software that wants to connect to the internet in ways that might be leaking information I would rather not disclose, such as my IP address. I usually unplug the router WAN cable as it's the easiest one to reach. I could power off the cable modem instead, but it takes quite a while to boot.

This would be easier if I could disable the router WAN port from the serial console.

Lee Sharp

• View Profile
    • SmallWall
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
How about a toggle-able "Deny All" rule in the firewall?  If you leave the antilockout feature in place, you can not lock yourself out, but you can black all traffic.  Or, you can make one for that IP address only.

Myke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:49 AM »
I can see this being a useful feature as well, as sometimes you've got devices staged but not yet ready to run, or perhaps an IP conflict... up/downing an interface is handy.

... Although arguably in the OP's case, it'd probably be easier to just delete the default gateway or turn down the logical interface on their local workstation.

andywhite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
Consider it on the backlog. I want to get 1.10.X functional for ipv6 firewalling  first